- More than 100 millionaires created by The National Lottery in NI since 1994
- New millionaire created in NI EVERY SIX WEEKS during the past five years
- A prize of more than £50,000 won in NI EVERY 12 DAYS in the last five years
THE National Lottery today revealed that Northern Ireland has now officially passed the magical 100 millionaire milestone.
A staggering 103 millionaires have now been created in Northern Ireland since the very first draw on Saturday November 19, 1994 – the most recent public winners being charity workers Colin and Eithne Bell from Newry who scooped a huge £1m on the EuroMillions Millionaire Maker in June.
In fact, lottery mathematicians have revealed that more than 40 per cent of Northern Ireland’s growing number of lottery millionaires have hit the jackpot in the last five years – a sure sign that we’re in the midst of a lucky streak!
Amazingly, there have been 43 millionaires created in Northern Ireland during this time, which equates to a new NI millionaire every six weeks on average.
The statistics, which include winners who have gone public and those who remain anonymous, show that since The National Lottery began in 1994 there has been an average of 4.5 millionaires per year from Northern Ireland. When we narrow this down to the last five years, however, that figure rises to 8.6 per year.
Andy Carter, Senior Winners’ Advisor for The National Lottery, and the man who pays out the big winners, said: “We are delighted to reveal that we have now created more than 100 millionaires in Northern Ireland, which is a huge milestone for the region and surely cause for great celebration.
“There’s definitely something in the Northern Ireland water in recent years which is making it one of the luckiest postcode areas in the UK,” he added.
It’s not just millionaires who had their lives changed by playing The National Lottery, with over 700 big winners from Northern Ireland bagging prizes of £50,000 or more since the first draw took place.
Looking at the past five years, a prize of MORE THAN £50,000 HAS BEEN WON IN NORTHERN IRELAND EVERY 12.76 DAYS, with a total of 143 big winners during this time.
This means that, since The National Lottery began, one person in every 2,066 people in Northern Ireland has won a life-changing amount of money.
It isn’t just winners whose lives have been changed by The National Lottery over the years, with more than £30 million for National Lottery-funded projects generated every week.
In Northern Ireland alone there has been more than £1 BILLION distributed since 1994 with well over 20,000 individual National Lottery grants awarded to individuals, organisations and projects across the arts, sports, heritage, health, education, environment, charity and voluntary sectors.
For more information on National Lottery funding please visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk.
MEDIA ENQUIRIES: For further information please contact Michael Rafferty or Cathal Delea of Duffy Rafferty Communications on 028 9073 0880.
- Statistics valid up to and including April 20, 2017 so ‘last five years’ covers the period from April 20, 2012 to 20 April 2017
- ‘To date’ or ‘since launch’ covers the period from the launch of The National Lottery in November 1994 to 20 April 2017
- Millionaires refers to individuals, including members of a syndicate, who have won £1M or more.
- High Tier prize or major prize refers to prizes of over £50,000 across all National Lottery games.
- Player population figures are all aged 16+ and sourced from Geolytix
- All winners data is derived from information held by Camelot Group and is accurate as far as possible
Notes to Editors:
- Camelot UK Lotteries Limited is the licensed operator of The National Lottery® and is committed to raising money for National Lottery Good Causes designated by Parliament. Camelot is not responsible for distributing or awarding these funds.
- Each week, Camelot generates over, on average, £30 million for National Lottery-funded projects – in total £37 billion has now been raised and more than 510,000 individual grants have been made across the UK, the biggest programme of civic and social regeneration since the 19th Century. The National Lottery has so far given away over £63 billion in prizes and created more than 4,600 millionaires or multi-millionaires since its launch in 1994.
- For further information on Camelot, The National Lottery and its games, please visit: www.camelotgroup.co.uk and national-lottery.co.uk
- Players of all National Lottery games must be aged 16 or over.